History of Aspirations Academies Trust
Dr. Russell J. Quaglia presented his research on raising student aspirations at the Sports College Conference in Nottingham in November 2000. In the audience was Steve Kenning. Inspired, he took the Aspirations Framework and embedded it into his school. Over the next fourteen years the Aspirations Framework was used, alongside effective teaching and learning strategies, by Headteachers Steve and Paula Kenning to create several highly successful schools in England.
At the start of the summer holidays in 2011, Steve and Paula Kenning were considering the implications and opportunities of the changing educational climate as a result of the growth of academies and the introduction of Free Schools. This led to the development of a germ of an idea to start their own Multi-Academy Trust. A few emails and phone calls later and Dr Russell J. Quaglia was also hooked on the idea. Negotiations followed with the Department of Education and the Aspirations Academies Trust was officially created on 1st December 2011. The first schools taken on by the Trust were Dashwood and Banbury, soon to be followed by several more:
- Dashwood Banbury Academy (Primary) and Banbury Academy (Secondary) joined the Trust in August 2012 as sponsored academies.
- Harriers Banbury Academy (Primary) joined in February 2013 as a converter academy.
- Rivers Academy West London joined in August 2013 as a converter academy.
- Magna Academy Poole (Secondary and sponsored) and Jewell Academy Bournemouth (Primary and a new school) joined in September 2013.
- Oriel Academy West London (Primary and a converter) joined in October 2013.
- Oak Hill Academy West London (Junior and a converter) joined in April 2014.
- Space Studio Banbury (Age 14-18, a new school) opened in September 2014.
- Ocean Academy Poole (Junior, a new school) opened in September 2015.
- Space Studio West London (Age 14-18) opened in 2015.
- Tech City College joined in 2015.
- Atlantic Academy joined in September 2017
- Park Academy jointed in September 2017
- Livingstone Academy Bournemouth is due to open in 2019.