PREPARING STUDENTS FOR LIFE AFTER SCHOOL
Employability means having a set of attributes, skills and knowledge that will support effectiveness in the workplace. Employability benefits the self, the employer and the wider economy.
PUTTING CONCEPTS INTO PRACTICE
The Aspirations Employability Portfolio (AEP) pairs Year 12 students with employers on industry-commissioned projects. Over the course of 10 weeks, students work in small groups to solve real-world challenges faced by the employer.
During the research and design phases, students work alongside and learn from real employees of the commissioning company. At the end of the 10-week cycle, students present their solution to the employer. The solution is customised to the challenge – it could be a tangible product, a digital product, a system, concept or strategy.
Through working on an AEP project, students develop their 10 21st century skills.
EMPLOYERS: WE NEED YOU!
The AEP’s success would not be possible without the voluntary involvement of employers. We are always welcoming new employers and projects to the AEP. Non-profits, charities and SMEs are most welcome.
What we need from you:
- A real issue or problem your company is facing now or in the near future.
- A two-hour weekly commitment from at least one employee to work with students at the school. The employee will, over the course of the 10 weeks, introduce the project, provide advice and guidance on project direction, and assess the final product.
What we will provide:
- A dedicated teacher to work alongside your employee at the school at all times.
- Any materials required for project completion.
- Reimbursement of reasonable travel expenses.
Benefits to your company:
- A chance to help make young people employable.
- Talent spot for your workforce.
- Any intellectual property generated remains with your organisation.
For more information, contact Caroline Barringer at email@example.com.